If your considering creating a Facebook presence for your business you might be wondering whether it is better to do it via a page or group, the short answer to this question is create a page.
I say this for the reasons below:
1. With a page you can include your keywords in the URL (once you have more than 30 likes), with a group you have an “ugly url” made up of random numbers, which no-one will ever remember.
2. Pages are visible to people and search engines not logged into Facebook, groups aren’t visible to people not logged in and search engines can’t index them.
3. With a page you can create events and invite members.
4. With a page you get “page insights” – this shows you how many people see your posts etc.
5. You can promote your page using Facebook ads.
6. Some features are limited once your group reaches a certain size.
See this quote from Facebook
“Facebook Pages help businesses, organizations and brands share their stories and connect with people. Like Pages you’re interested in to get updates about their activity.”
If you want to promote your business on Facebook you must do it via a page or group, you cannot set-up a profile with your companies name, this looks spammy and Facebook says
“Timelines are for personal, non-commercial use only. They represent individuals and must be held under an individual name. Pages are for professional or official use, and allow an organization, business, celebrity or band to maintain a presence on Facebook. You may only create Facebook Pages to represent real organizations of which you are an authorized representative. “
Groups are good for a common interest, cycling or fishing for example.
Panda SEO can help you with creating a social media presence, get a quote.